"What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us." - Julia Cameron ***This blog is an expression of what I was meant to do. What I really wanted to do was to live a creative life, to fill it with zeal and delight, and to be beacon of light to the world. You are welcome to join me in this journey.***

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Driver’s Seat

(Sing a stanza of Lea Salonga’s “The Journey”)
“What a journey it has been
And the end is not in sight
But the stars are out tonight
And they're bound to guide my way”

Fellow Toastmasters and Guests, good evening.

Robert Fulghum, author of “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarden” said in his book that all he really need to know about HOW TO LIVE and WHAT TO DO and HOW TO BE he learned in kindergarden. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School.

Among the things he learned are:
• Share everything.
• Play fair.
• Don't hit people.
• Put things back where you found them.
• Clean up your own mess.
• Don't take things that aren't yours.
• Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

Makes perfect sense, huh?

Well for me, I picked up bits and pieces of wisdom about life from sitting in the driver’s seat.
I learned to drive formally through a driving institute the same year that I graduated from high school, and informally, through my dad who had accompanied me on my test drives. But I officially learned to drive independently when I entered school around six years back because of the obvious convenience of mobility. It was a major breakthrough for me and looking back now, I’m glad I did that because it had taught me some valuable lessons in life and helped me cope with life’s challenges.

It was while I was driving that I encountered several “aha!” moments and I’d like to share a few with you:

1st: OBSERVE TRAFFIC RULES.

The traffic lights system was designed to promote order on the road. The rule is simple – GO when you see GREEN, STOP when you see RED, and PREPARE TO STOP when you see YELLOW. But do we really interpret is as how it was meant to be interpreted? Does seeing the warning YELLOW light trigger us to SLOW DOWN or actually SPEED UP? Some people choose to interpret it depending on their moods. They go faster when they are running late on their appointments and tend slow down when they are not in a rush. Yes, I am guilty of this on few accounts and not surprisingly, I don’t get away with it 100% scot-free. I occasionally miscalculate the timing of the changing of the lights and find myself getting flagged down by the men in pink. Thus goes the lengthy process of explaining and justifying my actions to authority. Definitely not an experience I’d like to relish. But isn’t it just like life? Sometimes you see potential trouble ahead, warning signs are everywhere and yet you still chose to do things your way instead of following basic instructions.

2nd: TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED.

Sometimes, the long cut is actually a short cut.

There was a time when I went home regularly at around ten-thirty-ish for four straight Wednesdays coming from Makati. I live in Manila near UST area and coming from Vito Cruz Extension, my favorite route home was to turn right to South Superhighway and go all the way to Nagtahan flyover. Why? Well because there are occasions that I reach home in 20-25 minutes with this route especially when I do fly-driving.

However, during those particular Wednesday evenings, because of the truck ban that had been lifted, I find myself contending with the trucks for road domination in my favorite route. Movement is at a painstakingly slow turtle-like pace and it can take me forever to reach home. My alternative route was to take Vito Cruz going to Taft because despite the presence of traffic lights in several intersections, there are no mean, nasty trucks hovering over you! But this realization to take a detour often comes out quite late…it only strikes me only after I’ve made a turn to South Superhighway.

So lesson to be learned, one should be dynamic enough to adapt to according to the road condition. Take the road less traveled. The additional kilometers may actually get you home faster.

3rd: SIGNAL BEFORE CHANGING LANES.

It is infinitely frustrating when a jeepney suddenly cuts you off when you are just peacefully sticking to your own lane. It is a gross disrespect!

Just like in relationships or at work, communication is essential. Whenever you know that a certain change or action would potentially affect others, have the decency and common courtesy to warn people ahead of time.

Thus, when I drive, I always glance at the rearview mirror, check for a safe distance of the next car on the lane I’m moving to, switch on my signal lights, before changing lanes. I don’t want to be the cause for casualty nor become a casualty myself. As they say, “casualness breed casualty”.

Fulghum may have found his wisdom in kindergarden but since I was a late bloomer, I had found mine when I started sitting in the driver’s seat.

(con’t) “When they're shining on my life
I can see a better day
I won't let the darkness in
What a journey it has been”

Toastmaster of the Evening, fellow toastmasters and guests. Good evening.

-taken from my Basic Speech Project #4-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home