"What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us." - Julia Cameron ***This blog is an expression of what I was meant to do. What I really wanted to do was to live a creative life, to fill it with zeal and delight, and to be beacon of light to the world. You are welcome to join me in this journey.***

Monday, February 21, 2005

I'm your Angel of Music

Last Friday, a good friend/colleague/grad school classmate invited me to watch "The Phantom of the Opera" after work. Well, it was a movie version rather than a live play onstage but I guess that's the closest yet more affordable way for me to enjoy the show I've been meaning to watch it since I first heard of the soundtrack way back in high school.

You see, my brother had borrowed the cassette tape (double) from his highschool classmate. Since my bro and I are 5 years apart, that means I was still in elementary that time. That was more than 10 years ago already. Ah...closure finally.... ;)

I never really thought I would develop a deep appreciation for theatrical plays and musicals, but I guess, people's tastes evolve as time goes by.

My first musical was RENT, and it was really good. I watched it in December 2002 (if I'm not mistaken) upon the insistence of my college orgmates. I had initially refused to shell out more than twice the amount I pay for entertainment I can get from the big screen. But then again, the entertainment you get from a "live" show is really something. You can feel the ENERGY emanating from the actors. They perform live. There are no retakes once they're onstage. That's what makes it exciting. It gives you a kind of HIGH when you're watching it, something you can't get from simply watching a movie. So, looking back, I'm really glad I did try watching the musical and since then, I've been watching plays and musicals by Repertory Philippines and Trumpets. I didn't realize that Filipinos had so much talent. (Being Fil-Chi, I grew up in a very traditional Chinese family and studied in an all-Chinese elementary and highschool so I didn't really have much exposure with Filipino culture until during and after college.)

So, going back to Phantom of the Opera...I was really hooked to the songs in the movie...lyrics of "The Music of the Night", "Think of Me" kept on playing back in my mind. I thought to myself I had to get a copy of the soundtrack...and so I did, one day after, for P395. So now, I'm been playing the songs over and over in my PC while writing this blog. =P

So there. Gotta get back to my strama paper. I'd like to thank that friend also for inviting me to the movie. =)

"Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams! Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before! Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar! And you'll live as you've never lived before..."

1 Comments:

Blogger patricia said...

nice! i also loved the phantom film but i'm sure the musical would be better...

Fri Jan 04, 10:53:00 PM GMT+8

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home